Monday, April 2, 2012

FHE

For FHE today, we decided to fix our washing machine.  Last week while doing my last load of laundry (at least it wasn't the first) my washing machine decided to make a lovely grinding noise instead of agitate or spin.  We are moving in 4 short months and didn't want to buy a new washing machine now when we don't know if we'll have hook-ups for it in California.  So, we "googled" the problem and found an excellent website with detailed instructions and pictures for fixing what sounded like the exact same problem.  I searched for the part that this website claimed was the problem and it cost an astounding $4.32 on amazon.  I decided whether or not this part was the true culprit, I could part with less than $5 for an attempt to save me $100 on a new (used) machine.  The part came in the mail today, so for FHE we took apart the machine following the instructions and found we were right about the broken piece!  So, after much poking and prodding, we put the machine back together with the new piece and so far all appears well.  We ended up breaking a few other plastic support pieces along the way, so I wouldn't suggest buying our machine from us when we move, but it appears to work so far.  I'll try doing loads on laundry tomorrow and we'll learn if it really is working.

Here is me holding the broken piece.
Here's the washing machine all taken apart.




















Looks like fun, doesn't it?

Because we can't have two posts in a row without a picture of Madison, here is Madison intently watching the choir during conference.  

3 comments:

  1. You are your mother's daughter. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world thinks I am a bumbling incapable klutz because Bonnie fixes everything in our home - I love doing this stuff too, but she usually beats me to it. I'm not sure if Bonnie's repair skills started out of necessity (because I had limited time, always busy with church and work) or out of an inborn curiosity and determination - probably both. But we're all very proud that Sarah continues in the tradition of self-sufficiency. The wealth of information (and repair parts) on the Internet certainly makes it easier! GO SARAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you guys... when my dryer started making funny noises I called a repair guy, who told me not to fix it. :-) (It was a $60 repair now, and he could see a $150 repair in a month or so. But I did figure out a way to get a new dryer AND a new fridge in the budget John gave me for a new dryer!

    ReplyDelete