So, I've been bad at keeping the blog updated since school got out. I never updated my old blog, so I guess what I've done is better than before. :)
This term, I am in a nursing class focused on culture. Our nursing class is split into 8 groups, each focusing on one culture. There are groups who are studying Ghana, Tonga, Taiwan, and Ecuador, as well as groups studying high risk cultures in Utah (minorities, prison, etc), the Navajo, and those who use alternative health practices. My group focuses on military and veterans. So, only a week after winter semester ended, I left for Washington, D.C., leaving Brian alone for a long week.
We spent our trip visiting war memorials, meeting with VA administrators, touring the big army medical center, talking to panels of military nurses, veterans, and wounded soldiers. We crammed a lot into one week. By the end of the week, we were getting good at going 7-8 hours between meals, riding the metro to all parts of the city, and walking till our feet wanted to fall off. I'll share a few picture highlights of my trip.
Washington Monument

. We spent a few days wandering near the monument and even went to the top. Great view!

World War II Monument. Beautiful monument.

Washington Monument from WWII Memorial. To prove I was there. :)

Washington, D.C. Temple. We spent Sunday at the visitor's center and a few of us were able to do some initiatories one evening. It's beautiful!

Yup, Brother Brigham. He's displayed in the Capitol building. Each state has two statues. Utah's are Brigham and Philo T Farnsworth, the inventor of the TV.

Pentagon Briefing. In the waiting room of the Pentagon. We had an awesome tour.

Walter Reed Medical Center. The big army hospital in Washington, D.C. We were able to meet some awesome people here and learn more about the military/veteran culture.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery. It has been continuously guarded since the 1930's. It's really cool to watch the soldiers who are honored with the chance to guard it. Apparently, they spend 6 hours getting ready for their turn to guard. Wow!

Iwo Jima Memorial to the Marines. We met an awesome retired marine who was on the island of Iwo Jima and corrected some of our misconceptions about the story of the statue.
Nice job, Sarah! Fun to see your photos and read the descriptions. It makes me want to go back and be a tourist again!
ReplyDeleteDid you know I was born at Walter Reed? Pappy was part of the "Old Guard" stationed at Arlington. He did formal military funerals.
ReplyDeleteMimi told me you were born there. That's cool. :)
ReplyDeleteSo.. the trip to DC was part of a class, and your group went? Or was this some extracurricular thing you decided to do to get the most of your project?
ReplyDeleteSomeday.. I will go to DC. *wistful sigh*
Looks like you're having fun there! You look great!